About Dr Hamish Philpott
Dr Philpott brings a strong combination of clinical and academic experience to the care of his patients, with involvement in ongoing gastroenterology research. He has spent significant time travelling and working overseas to further his clinical experience. Hamish prides himself in taking a compassionate and caring approach when consulting with his patients.
Dr Hamish Philpott has extensive experience in the care of patients with a range of gastroenterological conditions, having spent almost a decade interstate and overseas completing a PhD, as well clinical and postdoctoral research fellowships considering such topics as irritable bowel syndrome, food allergy and intolerance as well as functional gastroenterological conditions and motility disorders.
He was supervised in his PhD studies by professor Peter Gibson, who co-invented the Low FODMAP diet. He has worked as a consultant gastroenterologist since 2011 and had appointments at The Alfred Hospital, Eastern Health (including Box Hill and Maroondah Hospitals), as well as Ballarat and Bendigo Hospitals.
Hamish has travelled to Augusta Georgia to undertake a Neurogastroenterology fellowship with Professor Satish Rao, as well as to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, to further research on Eosinophilic Oesophagitis as well as undertaking a clinical preceptorship on functional gastroenterology with Professor Douglas Drossman.
Hamish has been the recipient of a number of grants including an NHMRC scholarship to support his research on eosinophilic oesophagitis. He was the 2016/17 Bushell Fellow (as awarded by the Royal Australasian College of Physicians) and received additional funding from the Gastroenterological Society of Australia (GESA) in 2018 to further his research. Hamish has also received funding from AusEE, a philanthropic organisation that supports research on food allergies.
Qualification and Professional Positions
- MBBS University of Adelaide 2001
- MRCP (UK) 2006
- MRCP (SCE) in Gastroenterology 2009
- FRACP (Gastroenterology) 2010
- PhD Monash University 2016
- Grad Dip Clin Res (Monash University) 2017
- Royal College of Physicians
- Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Gastroenterology Association
- Australasian Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society
- American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society (ANMS)
- (Augusta Georgia – mentor Satish Rao. Emphasis on anorectal manometry)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship – Chapel Hill North Carolina
- Preceptorship with Prof D Drossman- Drossman Centre and UNC Chapel Hill
- Staff Specialist Gastroenterologist at NAHLN (SA Health) and Senior Clinical Lecturer at the University of Adelaide
- Member of the RACP Advanced Training Committee (ATC) in Gastroenterology
- Lead in Research Projects and assessment for ATC in Gastroenterology
Author of over 60 peer-reviewed publications.
Reviewer for multiple journals including:
- Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Clinical and Experimental Allergy,
- Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology,
- Internal Medicine Journal,
- Digestive Diseases and Sciences